Embedded Software Engineer
Who we are
In 2018, Cowboy introduced the most beautiful, simple, and connected electric bike for urban riders. With a vision to be the ideal mode of transport, Cowboy has transformed the electric bike to be a fully connected ecosystem that our riders experience every day. Over time, the cultural impact we imagine is one of creating the living city - urban environments that are more mindful of us and the way we want to move and more sustainable for all its inhabitants.
We are a disrupter in the market with ambitious goals, winning Red-Dot awards in 2018, 2019, and 2021. We enhance the riding experience by unifying intelligent technology, delightful design, and meticulous customer service. Our mission is to become the most desirable micro-mobility company in Europe & US by 2025.
In May 2021, Cowboy launched its fourth model, introducing a new frame with a wireless phone charging feature. Our bikes, on-demand test rides, and repair services are available in more than 10 European countries and our bikes are available across the U.S.A. In January 2022, Cowboy raised $80 Million of funding from international investors led by HCVC and Siam Capital with continued support from previous investors Index and Tiger Global in the Series C round.
A Cowboy is someone with the courage, despite their fears, to follow their own intuition and to move their own way. Courage is the human emotion shared among our riders and with us as a brand.
As an Embedded Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the development and improvement of the next generation of Cowboy electric bikes. You will join a team of experienced Engineers who've managed to bring our current bike to the market.
Thanks to our Device Firmware Upgrade we will continue to update our bikes on the field. You will work on multiple features and have an impact on the day-to-day life of hundreds of people from day one.
- Crash detection feature
- Anti-theft feature (movement detection)
- Adaptive power
- Remote diagnostics
- You are excited about the prospect of working on an IoT product that can be seen in the streets of many cities throughout Europe and America.
- You thrive working in a young, dynamic, and lean environment where flexibility, autonomy, and empowerment are key.
- You are willing and eager to go the extra mile to deliver for important deadlines.
- You have a thirst for learning whilst also being keen to spread knowledge within the extended team.
Essential skills and experience:
- You have experience with electronic product development (HW & SW), from requirements through to release and field monitoring.
- You can balance your time between content (getting your hands dirty) and leading technical projects.
- You are a team player with strong organizational skills.
- You have a passion for writing clean and good-quality C/C++ code, with experience in an embedded environment.
- You have a strong working and coding experience with IoT devices/technologies such as BLE, LTE and GNSS.
- You have professional and/or personal experience working with ARM Cortex-M MCUs like STM32 and nRF52/53.
- You have a deep understanding of the workings of Real-Time Operating Systems such as Zephyr and have experience in collaborative projects using them.
- You are driven by quality and happy to get stuck into automated testing using Python.
- The use of version control (git) and issue tracking software, such as Github/Zenhub, is second nature to you.
- You have experience working in a Linux environment.
- You speak and write English fluently.
Additional bonus skills and experience:
- You have experience using database software (eg. Airtable, Looker) for data-driven analysis and problem-solving.
- You have previously worked with automotive and/or industrial communication protocols such as CAN, LIN and Modbus.
- You take pride and pleasure in clearly documenting designs, code and investigations.
- You have experience with, and interest in, reading electronic schematics and digging into component datasheets.
What we offer you
- Highly competitive package with a clear and open salary structure
- 30 days annual leave/ vacation days (exclusive of local bank holidays)
- Your own Cowboy bike whilst you’re with Cowboy (and a nice discount for your family)
- Daily meal allowance
- Opportunity to become one of the key employees of a fast-growing startup with open, respectful and fun company culture
- Having a real impact on the company’s growth and evolution
- Working with people who love what they do every day
Just like our rider community in cities across Europe, diversity is a strength. No matter where you come from, or the path you're on, Cowboy is inclusive and so is our workplace. Your unique skills, passion, and perspective will help us continue to transform mobility and urban life for the better.